Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Foreigners :)

Maybe not all, but in my case, it seems that many people from other countries are simply a lot nicer than Americans. They seem to be a lot more people-oriented and don’t get caught up in technology, television, or fame, because relationships are important to them. They smile a real smile and ask how you are doing and actually want to know. They do not appear to judge so quickly based on how you look or what you wear. They try hard to speak our language and strain to understand at least some of what we are saying back to them. They are honest with their thoughts and aren’t afraid to tell you them straight up, even if it’s not exactly what you want to hear at the time.
For example, the other day my Hispanic friend told me that I looked gross in a specific picture. At first I took offense and felt really bad about myself, but when I told him how I felt he explained that I wasn’t gross and that he thought I was pretty. However, that wasn’t a great picture of me since I was making a weird face. Then he went on a big spill about how it wasn’t the outside appearance that really matters, but the inside. He reminded me how the inside shows so much more about a person and that beauty does fade in time. It was very obvious that he was sincere and really believed and valued what he was telling me.
My roommate works with a foreign girl and has become good friends with her. Tonight they had dinner together just to talk and enjoy each others company. My roommate told me that her foreign friend really made her think about important things by asking her hard questions about God and life.
I know that anybody could be like this, but so far, it’s a lot more prevalent in the lives of my friends from other countries. Their focus is on each other, getting to really know people, and genuinely caring about them.

2 comments:

Amy Weddle said...

I know what you mean, Lauren. The international students at GBS seem friendly no matter what when we American's are caught up in petty arguments and silly grudges. Perhaps they have been better taught to appreciate things.

Diane Wood said...

Lauren,
I know what you mean. I don't understand why, but it seems like our culture is more self focused, while other cultures tend to be more focused on others. I feel really proud of all the international students for having the courage to come to another country and try to understand another culture and/or language. But they don't stop at just coming here to learn, they also are friendly. If I went to a college in another country I would be very shy and probably not make many friends for awhile. I admire and respect the international students.