Thursday, October 2, 2008

Media's Affects on Girls

Sometimes I don't realize how often I am so strongly influenced by the media. There are so many aspects of my life that have been affected, but I would like to focus on the way it pressures the way I perceive my outward appearance. I feel like there is this expectation over my head, to be skinny, athletic, wear expensive and appealing clothes, have flawless tan skin, and have perfectly smooth soft hair. It makes me feel like if I attain these, than I will turn the heads of every guy, and if I don't, then something is wrong with me. The media puts so much emphasis of changing yourself to be hotter and to be in with the latest style. To try and keep up with the demands is impossible, unhealthy, and very dissatisfying.
When I get so caught up in trying to do all these things to feel prettier and better about myself, I ironically seem to get so much more stressed out and unhappy. The media makes it seem that if you look this certain way, that you'll be happy and that when you finally reach that point, you won't need anything anymore. However, it is an unending proccess because everything always changes, what shirt was cute one month, is an absolute disgrace the next.
We are bombarded every day with what we should do, to be what we should be. Some girls are really strong and believe in themselves. They don't seem to let what the media says they should be trying to be affect they way they live. I admire those girls. However, many girls are weighed down by all the pressure. It's hard to put trust in themselves with the manipulative media constantly feeding them a deceptive view of happiness. Some of the outcomes can be traced to debt, stress, eating disorders, depression, and even suicide. With this in mind, I think its important to take a second look at what our media is pushing onto girls today and take a stand against it.

2 comments:

Mariya said...

I agress that the media pressures women to be like you had talked about. I also think that it puts an image into the minds of men that they compare women with. When they consider the hotness of a girl, it is based on how well they have achieved the things your mentioned. Such as, perfectly shaped body, flawless skin tone, and the hottest clothes. It is hard to igonre what the media is telling you when regardless of your midset you are still being compared, evaluated and judged. Which means that it is just ar important for girls to have realistic views, and a heathly outlook as it is guys.

Anonymous said...

Great post, Loren! You are so right. I guess I keep asking myself the question: Who sets the standard for beautiful, anyway? I'm learning more and more that it doesn't really matter if anybody except God and the guy I love think I'm pretty. And guess what? They both do! So girls, forget the Hollywood standard, and take Loren's advice! (Hey, if you want to read more about this, check out my blog entitled The Hollywood Mirage.) ;)